This is a totally fun project to do for valentine's day, mother's day or father's day.
You will need:
1 or two wool sweaters ( I like to use different shades of red or pink)
Hand Sewing needles
Optional: Embroidery thread / needle
Rice or buckwheat hulls mixed with Lavender
1. Start by washing your wool sweaters to felt and shrink them. They will get thick and sometimes pilly. If they pill, then you can easily either brush or pick off the pills.
2. Make a pattern for your heart. Make sure your heart is big enough to include 3/8" seam allowance all around.
3. Using your heart shaped pattern or by cutting out free hand, cut 2 hearts out of the sweater fabric.
4. With right sides together, pin hearts together around outside edge.
5. Sew around entire heart, pivoting at corners and leaving a 2" hole on one straight side (for turning right side out).
6. Clip the heart between the curved edges at the center point, just up to the stitches, making sure not to cut through the stitches. Trim the seam allowance at the bottom point to reduce the bulk when turning right side out.
7. Turn the heart right side out and fill with the rice/lavender mixture. You can use a cardboard tube as a funnel to help keep the mixture from escaping.
8. Slip stitch the hole closed.
Voila! you are done. If you wish, try embellishing with embroidery or hand applique another heart on top.