Tuesday, July 13, 2010

All Things Swedish


It's summer time and I've been working on my house projects. I do this mostly because my daughter is in school and I have time to get my hands dirty. Right now the kitchen cabinets have been sanded bare and I'm trying to decide what colors to paint, what kind of counter top would look best (in an ideal world) and what kind of tile backs plash will go with the fantasy countertop.
I'm so grateful that my good friend Kelley Flynn can help me make these decisions. You see, she's an amazing interior designer. So, I'm very lucky indeed!

Over the Spring Break I went to visit some dear friends in Portland Oregon and as always we go to Broder, which is one of my favorite restaurants. Of course they have a fabulous kitchen and the space is very cool. It's a little Swedish Bistro with lovely pickled beets on the side. So, I got to thinking about it as inspiration for my own kitchen and also about all the other wonderful and inspiring Swedish delights out there in the world right now. Here are some of my favorites. Let me know about some of yours.....
Broder and friends :





I could just spend the whole day at Ikea! Not only can you purchase your butcher block counter top, but you can outfit your entire pantry with Swedish Yummies, AND have lunch while you rest.

Oh, there is also Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren, with her Villa Villakula -

And ABBA.....

And the Millenium Series by Author Stieg Larsson -


Not to mention True Blood Star Alexander Skarsgard!


4 comments:

  1. Very cool! Just to add a few more famous Swedes:

    Ingrid Bergman and Greta Garbo- two of my favorite leading ladies

    Bjorn Borg- totally rocked the sweat band playing tennis in the 80's

    Magnus Samuelsson: strong man winner 1998

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im not trying to be anonymous, I posted it.
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ella, as usual, totally impressed with the depth of your knowledge on these matters.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least your blog doesn't look like a disorganized bulletin board. Thanks for thinking aesthetically. I almost didn't want to check it out because it's a blog. Some of my artist colleagues have really terrible looking blogs. SO it's good to see one done right!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment!